Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Holidays - Moments & Memories... What's Most Important.

Some of my fondest memories (as I’m sure it is for most of you) are those of being with my family during holidays. The joy of waking up early Christmas morning (sometimes not having slept a wink at all) and rushing over to the tree… all of us in our PJs…

It’s a magical moment.

The older I get the more I appreciate the simpler aspects of the holiday season. Now it’s less about opening presents and more about being with loved ones and cherishing the time-spent. When I was younger, I didn’t put a whole lot of weight into this concept… Come on, we’re all in it for the gift-getting right?!?

I encourage you to take a few seconds when you’re with those that you care about most this year to consciously try to remember and be able to recall that moment. As you get older you realize that time truly does get the better of us. Even now, I recall being the happiest I may have ever been on Christmas day. Not just because my parents tracked down the Best Buy shipping trucks and were able to secure the 1st generation Playstation 3 (my only request that year) but because I was surrounded by love. We weren’t concerned with anything but the joy of that moment. Not bills, health issues, grade point averages, or anything other than THAT moment in time.

For those of you reading this that don’t celebrate Christmas, think of a time when you were with those that you hold dearest and felt truly happy. – That’s the same kind of special I’m talking about.

I’ve written my wish-list this year and jotted down an assortment of things… but what I wish most (truly) is that all of us are able to be with people that we love and even if only for a moment, recognize what is most important.

Happy Holidays Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment